Icing bag or Jalebi bottle (substitute: cleaned & empty ketchup/mustard bottle)
1cup all-purpose flour (“Meyda”)
2 teaspoons gram flour (“Besan”)
1⁄2cup plain beaten yogurt (“Dayie”)
500ml pre-prepared sugar syrup (Chasni)
500ml ghee or 500 ml oil
1pinch baking soda
1. Mix all-purpose flour with gramflour
2. Add water and yogurt
3. Mix very well for 5-7 minutes (make sure there aren’t any lumps and consistency is runny)
4. Add a pinch of baking soda.
5. Heat oil on med heat on stove
6. Put batter into icing bag/bottle
7. Pour batter onto hot oil in pretzel-like shapes
8. Make until lightly brown on both sides
9. Drop the batter by squeezing the bottle/icing bag, into the hot oil, in concentric circular motion to make the jalebis.
10. Lightly brown on either side.
11. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
12. On a separate pan, hear the sugar-water syrup
13. Drain the excess oil from the jalebis.
14. Drop jalebis into the sugar-water syrup (dip well, toss well, to coat both side of the jalebis in the syrup.
15. Drain excess syrup from the jalebis.
16. Ready to serve!
Gulab Jaman Recipe
20-25 Gulab Jamans
1.) Create “Channi” (sugar sauce) by combining the sugar and water and boiling it
2.) Separately, mix the skim milk powder, all purpose flour and baking powder together
3.) Add the whopping cream in a little amount at atime
4.) Boil butter or oil (desired amount to dip)
5.) Roll into balls
6.) Fry on low heat until golden brown
250 grams unsweetened khoya/mava/evaporated milk
5 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp cardamom powder (take 3 cardamoms and put into grinder with husks removed)
13 to 15 finely chopped almonds
13-15 finely chopped pistachios
about ¼ tsp ghee (for greasing)
OPTIONAL: a pinch of saffron (optional)
OPTIONAL: 1.5 tsp 2% milk (optional)
1. Grate unsweetened khoya (until a crumbly consistency)
2. OPTIONAL: place saffron strands in milk (wait until dissolved)
3. grease a paper lined tray
4. add the crumbled khoya in a pan.
5. cook on a low heat for 2 to 3 minutes (stir frequently)
6. Add sugar and stir for 8 to 9 minutes until smooth consistency and batter starts becoming thick (caution: cooking it too much causes barfis to be rubbery rather than soft and crumbly)
7. Add almonds, pistachios and cardamom powder
8. Stir for one minute
9. pour mixture in the greased pan (flatten mixture so it’s evenly 1 inch thick)
10. Sprinkle saffron (optional)
11. After barfi cools down, slice into squares or diamond shapes.
12. Ready to serve!