As we move into the winter holiday season, Surrey Fire Service would like to offer the following safety tips for use of candles. Candles are commonly used for decorations, ceremonies, special occasions, heat and light at this time of year, but without due care they can quickly cause a fire if not managed safely.
Here are some tips use candles safely:
- Think about using flameless candles. They look like real candles.
- Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Keep candles at least 30 cm (1 foot) away from anything that can burn (Trees, Fabrics, Etc.)
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily and place them on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Place candles up high and away from areas where pets could accidentally knock them over.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach.
- Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.
- Never burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Never place or use candles near the stove.
- During a power outage nave solar or battery-powered lighting ready to use instead of a candle.